Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Why do I volunteer?


By LaDelle Kay

Why do I volunteer? I ask myself that question occasionally and always come back to the same answer: it is my duty to give back in whatever way I can.

I have been blessed with wonderful mentors in my life. Lessons in giving and volunteering began with a mother who, though possessing little materially, gave what she had to those in our community and to my large family. She taught us that we all have something to give and to give graciously and with generosity. That pattern continued during grade school and high school years and into adulthood as teachers, church leaders, business leaders and community individuals modeled the art of volunteering. It is said that education is the key, and I learned extensively from those caring individuals.


Many opportunities for volunteerism are available that utilize your talents. We all have a chance to make positive lasting changes in lives in our community. I encourage you to get involved in your community, because organizations are waiting with open arms to embrace you as a volunteer.

Woodrow Wilson described volunteerism beautifully:

"We are not merely here to make a living…we are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. We are here to enrich the world, and we impoverish ourselves if we forget the errand."

GIVE. VOLUNTEER. ADVOCATE

No comments:

Post a Comment